If you can’t make it to Makoto for their epic crispy rice tuna, bring Makoto to you! Below, you will find a crispy rice tuna recipe.
- 2 cups sushi rice (rinsed well)
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon sesame oil
- 1 pound ahi tuna (finely chopped into small pieces)
- 1/4 cup mayonnaise (Kewpie mayo preferred)
- 3 tablespoons sriracha
- 1 tablespoon soy sauce
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- juice of 1/2 lime
- vegetable oil (for frying)
- soy sauce (for dipping)
- jalapeño thinly sliced
- spicy mayo to drizzle on top
- toasted sesame seeds to garnish on top
MAKE THE SUSHI RICE
- Rinse the sushi rice for a minute or two until the water runs clear. If you have time, soak it in water for 15 minutes prior to rinsing.
- Add 3 cups of water to a pot over high heat and bring to a boil. Add the salt and rice and once boiling, lower the heat and cover to simmer for 20 minutes. After, turn off the heat but leave covered for 10 more minutes. Then fluff it up.
- In a small bowl, add the rice vinegar, granulated sugar, and sesame oil. Microwave for 30 seconds or quickly warm it up in a pot just so the sugar dissolves.
- Pour this over the rice and mix so that each grain of rice is coated evenly. It should be very sticky!
- Line an 8×8 pan or larger with Saran wrap and tightly pack the rice to desired thickness. Cover tightly and pop in the fridge to chill for 1 to 2 hours or overnight. To save time, chill in the freezer for 30 minutes just until it is cold and easily can be sliced.
- After the rice is chilled and set, cut into squares or rectangles.
- To a large pan, add a little vegetable oil over medium high heat. Once the oil is very hot, add the rice squares and shallow fry in batches to not over-crowd them. Once the bottom is golden, flip over and allow the other side to become golden while making sure to flip carefully to not break it.
- Remove from oil and transfer to a wire rack or paper towel to drain any excess oil.
MAKE THE SPICY TUNA
- To a bowl, add the finely diced tuna along with mayonnaise, sriracha, soy sauce, sesame oil and lime juice. Mix together.
HOW TO ASSEMBLE
- Add about 1 to 2 tablespoons of the spicy tuna on top of fried rice. Then add the jalapeño slice, drizzle of spicy mayo on top along with a sprinkle of sesame seeds and enjoy!