As you know, we’re trying to be more vegetarian come dinnertime here at Casa Tettamanti so my baked eggplant parm rounds are just the thing when I’m craving Italian yumminess. Plus, it’s easy to make and sizzling frying pans are not necessary here either.
- 1 eggplant
- 2 cups panko breadcrumbs
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 eggs beaten
- Olive oil (coat bottom of pan)
- 2 cups marinara sauce (I love Rao’s)
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 3 tablespoons fresh chopped basil
- Peel the skin of the eggplant if desired (I keep the skin on). Slice the eggplant into ¼ to ½ inch slices. Place them on a large plate and sprinkle them with salt. Allow them to sit for at least 30 minutes for the bitter juices to drain. Rinse and pat the slices dry with a paper towel.
- Preheat the oven to 425º F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Combine the breadcrumbs with ½ cup of parmesan cheese and Italian seasoning.
- Dredge each eggplant slice in the eggs, letting the excess drip. Coat with breadcrumb mixture and place them on oiled baking sheet.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until golden brown, flipping the slices half-way through baking. Remove eggplant from oven and top with marinara sauce and mozzarella cheese.
- Bake for 1o minutes until cheese is browned and bubbling. Sprinkle with chopped basil before serving. Mangia!